Moderate walk around Whitelee Windfarm, easy track walking and well signposted.
A short distance from Glasgow and you’ll feel well away from the city at Whitlee Windfarm. The spine roads of the windfarm make for easy navigation and exploration, the scenery is impressive and so are the wind turbines towering high above you yet surprisingly quiet as they harness the wind to produce green power.
You’ll enjoy this walk as despite the moderate distance it feels shorter than it is through good walking on gravel tracks, undulating but not challenging, it’s a family and dog-friendly walk. Ticking off the wind turbine numbers as you pass also adds to the character of this walk. Shorter options are also possible if your legs get a little tired.
For your efforts, you can treat yourself to some coffee and cake in the cafe at the visitor centre.
Distance: 12.6 km
Duration: 2:25 h
Whitelee Windfarm Visitor Centre
Lochgoin Circuit Route
- For a shorter walk, cut across the dam just after wind turbine no 27.
- Optional detour via Blackwood Hill Viewpoint between wind turbines no 55 and 43.
- Follow the track from the car park towards wind turbine no 40.
- Turn left toward wind turbine 53, and take the track opposite next to the Mtb trail which takes you down to wind turbine 41.
- Turn left and then next right.
- Take a left at the junction towards wind turbine no 55, and continue past wind turbines 43, 56, 71 87 and 88.
- Turn right opposite wind turbine 74 towards wind turbine 73, and continue past wind turbines 73, 57, 44, 27 12 and 13.
- Take a right at the junction opposite wind turbine no 13, continue past wind turbine no 6 and follow the track past the SPR Control Centre.
- Take the next right back onto a spine road toward wind turbine no 11, and continue past wind turbines no 26 and 42.
- Take a left after wind turbine no 42 re-tracing your steps back to the car park.
Access to the land is covered by the principles set out in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC). For further information see www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot
Tips and hints
Pick up a map for free from the visitor centre.